Choquequirao Trek is a spectacular tour where we dive into the deep Apurímac canyon and then we will ascend by another side of the mountain to the fascinating archaeological complex along a very steep and quiet road. This beautiful Inca city is attached to a mountain that is part of the eastern Andes and on the right bank of the Apurímac River, the Inca city is only free of vegetation in 35 or 40%, most of it remains at the mercy of nature and in the process of scientific study.
This tour will be a unique and unforgettable experience with incredible views.
Choquequirao Trek Summary
- First Day. Cusco – Cachora – Chiquisca
- Second Day. Chiquisca – Choquequirao
- Third Day. Choquequirao – Chiquisca
- Fourth Day. Chiquiska – Cachora – Cusco
Choquequirao Trek Full Itinerary
FIRST DAY. Cusco – Cachora – Chiquisca
To start Choquequirao Trek, at 5:30 am we will pick you up from your hotel in our private transport to undertake a spectacular trip approximately 3 and a half hours until Cachora village, where the muleteers and mules will be waiting to accompany us throughout the trip.
We will begin our trek following a path downhill for approximately 2 hours until Kapuliyoq pass, where we will have the first astonishing view of the Apurimac River deep valley, the elevated snow-clad mountains, here we will also have a small break to eat our snack and then we will continue with our descent of 3 hours that will take us to our first camp in Chiquiska.
Cachora: 2,850 meters / 9,348 feet
Chiquiska: 1,930 meters / 6,330 feet
Walking time: 5 hours
Length: 16 km
Accommodation: Chiquiska encampment.
- Food: lunch and dinner
SECOND DAY. Chiquiska – Choquequirao.
Very early hours of the morning we will have our breakfast, after our light breakfast, we will descend for 1 hour until the Rio (Playa Rosalina), from this place we will begin to ascend by the opposite side of the mountain following the zigzagging trail for 4 hours passing by Santa Rosa until arriving at Marampata, place where we will have the lunch and from this place in the distance we will able to appreciate the last Inca City. In the afternoon, we will increase 2 hours of hiking to our final destination Choquequirao, we will spend the afternoon at the archaeological site where we will observe the sunset and have the opportunity to see condors flight.
- Playa Rosalina: 1550 meters / 5084 feet
- Marampata: 2850metros / 8,036 feet
- Choquequirao: 3,033 meters / 9,951 feet
- Walking time: 7 hours.
- Distance traveled: 11 Kms
- Food: breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Accommodation: Choquequirao encampment
THIRD DAY. Choquequirao – Chiquiska
In this beautiful and last city of the Inca Empire, we will have the opportunity to see the sunrise and after breakfast we will begin to explore all the important sectors of this masterpiece, which was an administrative, religious and military center built in XV century in the Period of the ninth emperor “Pachacutec” and is located in part of the Vilcabamba mountain range in a difficult place of access.
We will go through the temples, palaces, dormitories, and handicraft, agricultural and hydraulic centers taking excellent photographs that will be a great memory. After all, we will begin to descend by a zigzag path to the Chiquiska camp where we will spend our third night.
- Length: 11 Kms
- Time: 5 hours.
- Food: breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Accommodation: Chiquiska camp.
FOURTH DAY. Chiquiska – Cachora – Cusco
Today is our last night of Choquequirao Trek. So, very early we will have our last breakfast, then we will start an arduous ascent for 3 hours until we reach the viewpoint of Capuliyoc.
Very early we will have our breakfast, then we will start an arduous ascent for 3 hours until we reach the viewpoint of Capuliyoc.
We will climb very early because during the day it is very hot in the canyon, in this way we can take advantage of the freshness of the canyon and we will enjoy the incredible sunrise in the canyon of Apurimac. After the viewpoint, we will follow an easy and flat road for 2 hours until we reach the town of Cachora, where we will have the farewell lunch with the whole group, after this farewell we will take our private bus to return to the imperial city of Cusco – hotel.
- Arriving at approximately 7:00 p.m.
- Walking time: 5 hours
- Length: 16 km
- Food: breakfast and lunch
- Bus to Cusco
End of our service
What is included in our tour?
- A pre-trip meeting at the Agency.
- Transportation from hotel Cusco – San Pedro de Cachora – Cusco.
- A professional guide who speaks English, Spanish, Quechua. (Assistant Guide for groups of more than 8 people).
- Entrance ticket to Choquequirao.
- 1 Tent for 2 people.
- Basic mats.
- Cook and kitchen equipment (kitchen assistant for large groups).
- Tent bath.
- Food as indicated in the itinerary, (we have the option of vegetarian food).
- Horses to carry camping equipment, food, cooking utensils, passenger things.
- An emergency horse which can be used when you feel tired or sick.
- Dining tent, table, chairs, and kitchen tent so that the cook prepares the food with care and hygiene.
- First aid kit and Oxygen
- First breakfast and dinner on the last day.
- Sleeping bag.
- Travel insurance. We beg you to take out travel insurance for the duration of the tour.
- An extra horse if you have too many things.
- Walking sticks.
- The times quoted in this itinerary are approximate.
- The guide can change the lunch and camps sites depending on how the group progresses.
- If you need an extra horse to ride or for your extra rucksacks. You can rent for a reasonable price every day.
- In periods of heavy rain, we do not recommend doing in the months of December, January, February, and March. This recommendation is according to the weather conditions of the Andes.
- Very good physical preparation
Vary according to the size of the group.
From US$ 399.00 per person in a shared group of 8 more people.
|2 to 3 Hikers||US$ 490.00 por persona|
|4 to 5 Hikers||US$ 470.00 por persona|
|6 to 7 Hikers||US$ 430.00 por persona|
|8 + Hikers||US$ 399.00 por persona|
That we can rent you.
- Comfortable feather sleeping bags of 10ºC below zero (US$ 6.00 per day)
- Inflatable mats (US$ 5.00 per day).
- If you think you have many things you can rent an extra mule. The cost is (US$ 10.00 per day).
- For an individual tent, you must add (US $ 25.00 for the entire route).
Packing list for your backpack
- When calculating the costs for renting, sleeping bags, must be calculated using the length of the tour. Even though you will not use the equipment during the last day, it will continue ‘on the road’ and ‘busy’.
- If you rent equipment and damage it – you are responsible for the price of replacement / repair. (Please do the right thing).
- You have to be in the city of Cusco at least one day before the tour.
- You must be in very good physical condition.
What you have to bring
- A personal light backpack.
- Waterproof jacket.
- Hiking shoes.
- Warm clothes, jackets, gloves, scarves, caps.
- Sleeping bag (we can rent).
- Camera and batteries.
- Rehydration cream for the skin.
- Insect repellent.
- Toilet paper.
- Personal medications