Mont Ausangate Trek the best adventure around Cusco.
One of the best hikes in Cusco in part of the Andes, Ausangate Trek and Rainbow Mountain.
¡Plan now for your next vacation! Explore the two natural attractions of the Andes of Cusco: Hiking in the surrounding Ausangate and Rainbow Mountain offers you the best to have an excellent and unique vacation.
These 2 attractions are located together in the Vilcabamba mountain range south of the city of Cusco. Monte Ausangate is the highest in Cusco and the fifth in Peru. Therefore, on this hike, you climb up to 5,110 meters high / 16,761 feet and the temperature of the camps oscillates between 2°C /35.6°F and 5°C / 41°F. But, this is one of the most spectacular and formidable adventures of Cusco and are ideal places for the perfect hiking excursion in the Andes.
Our 5-day package is elaborated with total care and we have thought of every detail to make this a perfect trip. Our camping equipment is well suited for this hike and also our personnel is highly qualified. In the 5 days of the Ausangate Trek, you will have the best Andean buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner and enjoy the service of a multilingual guide.
ausangate trek peru
First day. Cusco – Tinki – Pajchanta – Qomerccocha.
- 7 in the morning. Pick up from the hotel in the city of Cusco.
- 10:30 a.m. arrival to Hot Springs Pajchanta.
- 12:00 hours. First lunch.
- 1:00 in the afternoon. Start of the trek to Qomerqocha.
- 4:00 in the afternoon. Arrival to the first campsite.
Second day. Qomerccocha – Janpa Pass – Huchuy Phinaya.
- 5:30 a.m. We will wake you up with coca tea.
- 6 a.m. energetic breakfast.
- 7 in the morning. Start of the hiking to Jhanpa Pass.
- 10 a.m. official photo on the second highest point of the trek, Jhanpa Pass.
- 12:00 p.m. Second lunch at Jhanpa Pampa.
- 3:00 p.m. arrival to the second campsite. Huchuy Phinaya.
- 5:30 p.m. hot drinks
- 6:00 p.m. Second dinner and camp night.
Third day. Huchuy Phinaya – Palomani Pass – Ausangate Qocha – Ananta.
- 5:30 a.m. We will wake you up with the hot drink.
- 6:00 a.m. light breakfast.
- 7:00 a.m. hike to the highest point of the trek, Palomani Pass.
- 10:00 a.m. rest in Palomani Pass.
- 11:30 a.m. arrival to Ausangate Qocha.
- 12:00 p.m. third lunch
- 4:30 p.m. approximate arrival to Ananta, place of the third camp.
- 6:00 p.m. Last dinner and camp.
Fourth day. Ananta – Rainbow Mountain – Ananta – Chillca Pass – Yana Qocha.
- 5:30 a.m. our last breakfast.
- 6 of the day. Start of the hike towards Rainbow Mountain.
- 9 a.m. arrival to the viewpoint of the Rainbow Mountain.
- 10:00 a.m. visit to the red valley viewpoint.
- 11:30 a.m. Start of descent to Pampachiri.
- 1:30 hours. Farewell lunch from our muleteers and cook.
- 6:00 p.m. arrival at Cusco.
First day. Yana Qocha – Arapa Pass – Upis – Cusco.
- 6 am. Breakfast
- 10:30 a.m. Arrival at hot springs – Upis.
- 12:00 p.m. The last Lunch
- 1:30 p.m. Journey to Cusco
- 5:00 p.m. arrival at Cusco – Hotel.
Ausangate Trek full itinerary.
First day. Cusco – Tinki – Pajchanta (4,320 m /14,137 ft) – Qomerqocha (Green Lagoon 4,590 m /15,055 ft).
To start the best Ausangate trek 4 days. In the city of Cusco, we will pick you up at 7 a.m. from whichever hotel where you are spending the night. Then we will journey for 3 and a half hours in our private mobility through the south valley of Cusco, passing small towns and high Andean communities until we reach the hot springs of the Pajchanta community.
Before our first lunch, we can enjoy the hot springs (40 ° C) in small pools built by local families to collect the natural hot water.
After our delicious Andean buffet lunch (1:00 p.m.), we will start walking for 2 hours and a half to the Qomerqocha lagoon. It is a totally wonderful and excellent place to spend the night among the snow-capped mountains and watching the sunset will be the best of Ausanagte trekking.
- Hiking length. 6 km /3.7 miles
- Trekking time. 2 hours and a half
- Meals: Lunch and Dinner.
Second day. Qomerqocha – Jhanpa Pass (5,010 m / 16,433 ft) – Huchuy Phinaya (4,510 m /14,793 ft).
This morning we will wake up at 5:30 a.m. and first we will drink coca tea that is excellent to get energy and to avoid altitude sickness.
We will take our first fantastic breakfast of the Ausangate hike at 6:00 a.m. then, we will begin to climb following a path worn at a very slow step to Jhunpa Pass. From where we will have high-level panoramic views of the Qolqecruz and other famous snow-clad peaks, which is a hiker’s dream.
From the highest point of today’s hike, we will begin to descend to the lunch place Jhanpa Pampa, through a beautiful valley formed by the high Rocky Mountains of the Andes of Cusco.
After our delicious lunch, we will continue downhill for 2 and a half hours to Huchuy Phinaya, place of our second campsite. We will pass Andean wetlands filled with hundreds of South American Camelids (Llamas, Alpacas and Vicuñas) and Andean birds (ducks, Andean goose, etc).
Our dinner will be at 6 p.m. and we will spend the night in our tents.
- Trekking time. 8 hours
- 12 km /7.5 miles
- Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and snacks.
Third day. Huchuy Phinaya – Palomani Pass (5,210 m /17,010 ft) – Ausangate Qocha – Ananta (4,650 m /15,252 ft).
Today, we will wake up in the foothills of the highest mountain in the Cusco region, Ausangate (6,370 meters). We will also pass to the highest point of the entire hike, Palomani Pass (5,100 meters).
For which, we will get up at 5:45 am. And we will have breakfast at 6:00 a.m. then, we will start climbing up to Palomani Pass by a zigzag path. From the route we will have a beautiful panoramic view towards the snowy clad, we will also see vicuñas grazing in its natural state over 5 thousand meters of altitude.
When we reach the highest point of our wonderful adventure, we will feel we are over the snow because we will be a few meters from the slope of the mountain. From where we will enjoy splendid views in 360 °.
If you are in possibility, we can climb more 200 meters to be closer to the perpetual snow (optional).
After an excellent reward of nature, we will begin to descend to the Ausangate Lagoon where we will have lunch.
After the short break, we will continue our trek to Ananta where we will spend the third night of our expedition.
As always, at 5:30 p.m. We will drink our coffee and at 6:00 p.m. we will have dinner.
- Hiking time. 7 hours
- 10 km / 6.2 miles
- Foods: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and snacks.
Fourth day. Ananta – Rainbow Mountain (5,025 m / 16,482 ft) – Ananta – Chillka Pass (4,990 m /16,367 ft) – Yana Qocha (4,490 m / 14,727 ft).
Today, we will visit the busiest and most colorful place on this hike.
To be the first tourists to visit the Rainbow Mountain today, we will have breakfast at 5:30 a.m.
At 6 am. We will start 2 and a half hours hiking to the Rainbow Mountain, we will arrive at the viewpoint at approximately 8:30 a.m., we will take many photographs without people, then we will go to the red valley (optional). It is another natural wonder and, finally, we will return by the same path to our Ananta camp where we will have a 1-hour break for lunch.
Spending lunchtime, at approximately 2 p.m. We will complete the small part of the hike we need to get to Yana Qocha, which is the place of our fourth and last camp. In this part of the trek, we will go up to Chillka Pass from where we will have a fantastic panoramic view with many colored lagoons and snow-clad picks.
Finally, we will arrive at our campsite where we will spend the night among beautiful and rugged mountains formed by rocks.
Our dinner will be at 6 p.m.
- Length. 15 km / 9.4 miles
- Time of the walk 9 hours
- Foods: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and snacks.
Fifth day. Yana Qocha – Arapa Pass (4,740 m / 15,547 ft) – Upis Hot springs (4,415 m / 14,482 ft) – Cusco.
Today is the last day of our 5-day expedition.
Therefore, we will have breakfast at 6:00 a.m. then we will start to enjoy the last part of our adventure. We will walk 4 hours to hot springs of the Upis community.
We can use natural and medicinal hot water pools, it will be totally healthy to relax after a long hike.
After our last lunch, we will take our private bus to the city of Cusco. Before we say goodbye to our muleteers and cook.
We will arrive at the city of Cusco – hotel at approximately 5 p.m.
- Walking length. 9 km /5.6 miles
- Hiking time. 4 hours
- Feeding: Breakfast and Lunch.
The adventure of Ausangate Trek will end in Cusco.
Ausangate Tren Includes.
- Brief information about hiking a day before the start.
- Bus Cusco – Pajchanta / Upis Hot Springs – Cusco
- Multilingual professional guide.
- Professional Cook (1 assistant for a group more than 8 people).
- Horses to transport the camping equipment.
- Food: 4 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners, sandwiches (optional vegetarian at no additional cost).
- Tents for dining room and kitchen.
- Chairs and dining table.
- 1 tent 4 stations for 2 people.
- 1 mat
- First aid kit.
- An oxygen ball
- Ticket to Ausangate Natural Park and mountain of colors.
It not include
- Sleeping bags (we can rent you).
- Travel insurance: we recommend you to take out travel insurance during the time of your hike.
- Personal stuff.
- Additional horse.
- Walking sticks.
- Breakfast on the first day, dinner on the last day.
- Tips for the guide and the horsemen (optional)
Private Service: Only for you and also the prices vary according to the size of the Group.
|8 +Explorers||US$ 520 per person|
|7 Explorers||US$ 540 per person|
|6 Explorers||US$ 560 per person|
|5 Explorers||US$ 580 per person|
|4 Explorers||US$ 610 per person|
|3 Explorers||US$ 630 per person|
|2 Explorers||US$ 650 per person|
Things that we can rent you.
- Sleeping bag for the entire tour. We can rent you. US$ 25
- Single Tent Supplement, we can also rent it. US$ 35 for the entire tour
- If you want to rent an extra horse to ride. US$ 90 for 4 days
- Walking sticks. US$ 15 for the entire hike.
You have to take
- A lightweight backpack.
- Long pants.
- Sweater and thick jacket.
- plastic bags.
- Personal medications.
- Walking shoes or tennis shoes.
- Walking sticks
- Hat or cap.
- thick socks.
- Bottle of water.
- Toilet paper.
- Camera with extra charger y
- Some cash in small bills (soles).